1.19.2012

Book Review - Craft inc.

One thing I NEVER get to do is read books.  Not a book in about 6 years (after baby three came).  I have read parts of books, I read my bible, I read magazines, I read blogs, but have not read a book from cover to cover in FOREVER.  But the time of not reading books (and for you Kindle people that is a paper book) is over!  In just one kid free quiet weekend, I finished Craft, Inc. by Meg Mateo ILasco.  




Now, I am crafty.  Not like Martha Stewart insanely crafty, but I am a girl that can make almost anything out of anything crafty.  My fav' is sewing.  My unconventional methods of the art have brought together fabrics that would not necessarily meet.  It has tested pattern makers to go in a different direction.  It has taught me to create my own patterns. It has clothed, decorated, and made so many more things functional.  


But one thing I can not seem to do is find my absolute niche in the world of online craft selling.  I have an Etsy store, it has tons of cute things in it, but I just can't find that thing.  You know, the thing you are known for.  The thing you love to do.   


I can not say that this book cleared up any creative questions I have for myself but it is a useful reasource to have around.  Ms. ILAsco goes into great detail about business dealings ie - setting up a tax number, getting a business checking account, when or when not to take a lose on things.  She gives great ideas about marketing, advertising, and selling your wares.  Her examples of successful crafting business are inspirational true life stories.  I think the most important thing I learned from her writings is an insight into the creative mind -- explained in Chapter one.  


"Avoid the naysayers, those people who don't understand what you you're doing and therefore impose their fears upon you." - Meg ILasco


In all, a great read for someone in my shoes.  You know the person with tons of ideas, not enough time, and certainly not enough direction.  I am excited to see where I can take the things that I have learned from this book.  It gave me a new inspiration for my shop, for my blog, and being a Proverbs 31 woman.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather!
    This is my first visit to your blog - I found it when I was searching for reviews about the Craft Inc. book. I have just bought the Craft Inc book and planner to help me with my craft business :)I am still reading the book though...

    I too struggled (and still struggle) with finding my absolute niche - I sew, I embroider and I can make jewelry so I am having a hard time deciding what to make! The book did inspire me and I have been scribbling down ideas as I have been reading.

    Good luck for your shop and your business!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Sarah! Thanks for visiting. I am so excited to hear about your adventures in crafting. Do you have a blog - will you keep me updated? I would love to hear about it.

    I'm still trying to figure out what I am called to do. Planning on posting a few other books I love this week again, so please stop by.

    Have a great week crafting!
    xo

    ReplyDelete