7.12.2011

Happy Birthday Saint Basil

Have you ever seen a picture of this building?

                                                                             Source: archhis.com via Heather on Pinterest


It is Saint Basil's Catheral in Moscow.  I saw a picture of it as a child and thought it was one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen.  Look at the shape.  There is no rhyme or reason to how it is formed.  It comes together so organically.  The color, oh the color!  Can you imagine that color standing in the middle of gray.  That is probably what this building brought to the people of Moscow during the dark days of communism.

                                                                                   Source: None via Heather on Pinterest


At 8, I would have never imagined that I would get to climb on the inside of that building -- but I did!  In 2003, I spent a month in Moscow - - 28 week pregnant might I add!  It is just as beautiful inside as it is on the outside.  Every hall, wall, and door is bursting with beauty.  The stairs are narrow (remember pregnant lady climbing here), almost like climbing a ladder.  It is amazing how alive each of the dark rooms truly are.





I came home from the trip to Moscow with a new love for Russia, oh and a little souvenir.  You see this precious little baby is mine.  The reason Michael and I traveled all the way there.  She reminds me a lot of the cathedral.  She is bubbly like the towers.  The way she puts things together doesn't always make the most sense but when you see the finished product it is beautiful!  She is colorful on the dreary days.  Her inner beauty shines outward for all to see!  I love you Moscow for giving me my daughter!  Happy 450 birthday Saint Basil!

No comments:

Post a Comment